Mothers Out Front is seeking a talented organizer and staff manager to lead and expand our organization’s work in California. As the organizing manager, you will help build diverse and powerful movement of mothers, grandmothers, and caregivers advocating for a swift transition away from fossil fuels towards clean and renewable energy.
You will recruit, train, and manage staff working with volunteer-led teams and support and mentor the California state volunteer leadership team. You will work with and draw leadership from the frontline communities who are experiencing the worst effects of fossil fuels — from the dangers and challenges caused by extreme weather patterns to devastating health effects like asthma and other respiratory illnesses — with particular attention to low-income communities and communities of color. You will support the statewide volunteer leadership in developing and implementing community and state-based campaigns, while coordinating with national organizing efforts to make urgently needed progress toward a healthy and livable climate.
About Mothers Out Front:
Mothers Out Front builds our power as mothers to ensure a livable climate for all children. We are building a diverse national movement of mothers, grandmothers, and caregivers dedicated to convincing elected officials and business leaders to work for a swift, complete, and just transition away from fossil fuels to clean and renewable energy. We know that mothers have an important role to play in the climate change movement, and, when it comes to protecting their children, mothers are an unstoppable force for change! Our goal is simple: to enable mothers to take active leadership in climate change work by providing the structure, training, and tools for them to work together on campaigns in their communities and at the statewide level. We are a member-led, national organization that is growing quickly. Founded in 2013, this year’s operating budget is $3.7m. We currently have staff working in eight states and are a fast growing organization with no plans of slowing down.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Develop and support statewide teams of leaders to build power and win campaigns across the state.
- Manage state organizers to ensure productive, strategic campaigns and to drive growth. Ensure that the organizers are effectively deploying training tools, coaching resources, data and membership support.
- Coordinate communications resources to ensure that Mothers Out Front is visible across the state, that members are informed of our collective work, and that the campaigns at the local and state level have effective communications plans and support.
- Lead, in partnership with our development team, the cultivation and procurement of sustainable funding for our work in the state.
- Work with the state leadership team and organizers to build state coalition and partner relationships.
- Manage the state budget in partnership with the state leadership team and national leadership.
- Participate in the Organizing Manager Team to ensure collective impact and growth goals are set and achieved.
What we’re looking for in you:
- At least five years of experience in a grassroots organizing or a campaign setting, including a background in staff management or demonstrated readiness to manage.
- Experience and comfort with fundraising.
- A strong understanding of campaign development, ideally including experience developing strategic and effective campaigns at the statewide and municipal level. Understanding of how strategic communications planning integrates into larger campaign plans.
- Experience in organizing and movement building with an emphasis on effective leadership development and a co-collaborative style.
- A passion for climate justice issues, including an analysis around climate change.
- Demonstrated ability and commitment to working with people from a variety of backgrounds, especially ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds. It’s also helpful if you have experience working with people from different religious, education, generational, and gender identity backgrounds as well as those with physical disabilities and from the LGBTQ community.
- An understanding of the political landscape in California.
- Strong administrative skills, ideally including experience with databases, setting up efficient systems, and budget management.
- A passion for developing the leadership of mothers.
- Active and reflective listening skills. Excellent verbal and written communication skills with flexible and creative thinking.
- An ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, campaign-oriented environment.
- The ability to work evenings and weekends, as needed, and to travel across the state.
Details: Mothers out Front is a virtual organization. Candidates can be based anywhere in California and will work from a home office. You will report to the National Organizing Director. This a full-time position.
Salary and benefits: The salary range is $60K to $75K, depending on experience. Benefits include health and dental benefits, a 401(k) plan, flexible spending plan, paid vacation, holidays, sick days, and support for remote work set-up. We offer ongoing training opportunities, a fast-paced, dynamic, supportive, and collaborative setting and we are proudly women-led!
To apply: Please forward a cover letter and resume to [email protected] with the title of the job in subject line and include where you heard about the position. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Mothers Out Front is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ community, and members of other historically disenfranchised groups are especially welcome and encouraged to apply.
Do you like this page?