Mothers Out Front seeks a talented and passionate organizer to help build a diverse and powerful movement of mothers, grandmothers, and caregivers around the country stepping up in big ways to take action on climate change. As the National Expansion Organizer, you will play a lead role in designing and executing engagement and mobilization opportunities to ensure that all mothers—especially in regions without an organizing staff presence—can have a voice and take action in their communities, as part of a national movement, to preserve a livable climate for all children
You will help us focus resources particularly in those communities who suffer the injustices of climate change and fossil fuel use today and have been historically marginalized.
About Mothers Out Front:
Mothers Out Front builds our power as mothers to ensure a livable climate for all children. We are building a diverse national movement of mothers, grandmothers, and caregivers dedicated to convincing elected officials and business leaders to work for a swift, complete, and just transition away from fossil fuels to clean and renewable energy. We know that mothers have an important role to play in the climate change movement, and, when it comes to protecting their children, mothers are an unstoppable force for change! Our goal is simple: to enable mothers to take active leadership in climate change work by providing the structure, training, and tools for them to work together on campaigns in their communities and at the statewide level. We are a volunteer-led, national organization that is growing quickly. Founded in 2013, this year’s operating budget is $3.7m. We currently have staff working in eight states and are a fast growing organization with no plans of slowing down.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Working closely with senior staff and member leadership to design and execute digital and in-person mobilizations of mothers, grandmothers, and caregivers at the community, state, and national levels.
- Reaching out to and engaging mothers, grandmothers, and caregivers in new states to support them and expand their voice and influence.
- Drafting, editing, and proofing digital communications with members in expansion regions to inspire and provide updates and resources to help them be as effective as possible.
- In collaboration with our communications and membership departments, work to connect and mobilize mothers across geographic areas to leverage our power as a national movement.
- Work with moms to organize and facilitate cohorts of member leaders participating in national mobilizations, such as the Mother’s Day Campaign, to provide strategic advice, training, and support.
- Working with our data staff to ensuring key data (including number of people engaged, house parties held, and volunteers participating in campaign events) is recorded and tracked in our database, NationBuilder.
- Participate in fundraising initiatives as needed, including working with Mothers Out Front’s development and membership staff to meet membership goals in new states. Providing relevant data for the development department and, as needed, attend fundraising events.
What we’re looking for in you:
- You have at least two years of experience in grassroots organizing with some digital experience, ideally in a campaign setting.
- You are high creativity and flexibility. You thrive in a dynamic, goal-oriented, fast-paced, campaign-oriented environment.
- You can work remotely and be productively self-directed and personally organized.
- You have excellent communications skills and are comfortable regularly spending time on the phone and video. You have experience with active and reflective listening.
- You enjoy writing, especially for an online audience. You can engage and inspire through digital communications such as social media and email and provide the trainings and resources needed to help members be effective.
- You have a passion for mission-driven work.
- You can work occasional evenings and weekends and travel as needed.
- You have a demonstrated ability and commitment to working with people from a variety of backgrounds, especially ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds. It’s also helpful if you have experience working with people from different religious, education, generational, and gender identity backgrounds as well as those with physical disabilities and from the LGBTQ community.
- You have strong administrative skills, ideally including an aptitude for working with databases and setting up administrative systems. Some experience working with database software for fundraising and organizing.
Details: Mothers out Front is a virtual organization. You will work from a home office and can be based anywhere in the country (with a preference for candidates in western states). You will report to our Director of Expansion and Learning. This a full-time position.
Salary and benefits: The salary range is $40,000 to $51,500, depending on experience. Benefits include health and dental benefits, a 401(k) plan, flexible spending plan, paid vacation, holidays, sick days, and support for remote work set-up. We offer ongoing training opportunities, a fast-paced, dynamic, supportive, and collaborative setting and we are proudly women-led!
Timeline: We are accepting applications for this position through mid-December and hope to fill the position by mid-January. We have a thorough interview process which involves a phone interview, video interview, campaign exercise, reference calls, an in-person interview for candidates who continue to advance through the process. We also have a commitment to building up a sizable and diverse candidate pool before moving applicants to the final interview stages, which means there may be a delay in getting back to you. Our hope is that our process allows us to make the best possible decision and for you to learn more about us and appreciate your understanding if there is a delay at any point. We will do our best to keep you posted on your status throughout the process and ask that you stay in touch too.
To apply: Please forward a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title in the subject line and include where you heard about the position. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Mothers Out Front is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ community, and members of other historically disenfranchised groups are especially welcome and encouraged to apply.
Do you like this page?