NY - Electric School Bus press conference in Bay Shore

Mothers Out Front Long Island team member Billii Roberti was thrilled to attend an Electric School Bus press conference conducted by Suffolk Transportation Service, Inc. in Bay Shore, NY on Long Island. Suffolk’s school bus division is the largest school bus operator on Long Island.

The US EPA helped fund their purchase of four Blue Bird electric school buses and two dual-chargers with grants to cover 45% of the cost of both the buses and the infrastructure to charge them. Suffolk Transportation Service (STS) supplied the other 55% from its own procurement budget.

The electric buses have been in daily service since the beginning of the school year and will be used exclusively within the Bay Shore School District. STS expects to save $5,000 a year on maintenance costs, on top of the fuel savings. The charging stations are separately metered so that the actual cost of charging the buses can be tracked and it has been designed to be easily expanded for further bus additions.

In the future, they will be exploring working with the electric utility to provide vehicle-to-grid charging.






Be the first to comment

Please check your e-mail for a link to activate your account.