Mothers Out Front seeks a talented and passionate organizer to coordinate a regional campaign to stop the expansion of gas infrastructure across the east coast of the U.S. We know that energy companies are moving quickly to build a vast networks of pipelines and other gas infrastructure across the east coast.
In order to stop these initiatives, we need to work across state lines. By uniting our local and statewide campaigns into one coordinated powerful movement from Maine to Virginia, we can bring a stop to gas expansion. Through your work, you will help mothers and grandmothers coming together to challenge the fossil fuel industry and work for a livable climate for all children by bringing forward the powerful stories of mothers about the impacts of natural gas extraction, transportation, and distribution. You will ensure elected officials develop the political will to stop these dangerous proposals and instead prioritize and fund clean energy alternatives. You will help us focus resources particularly in those communities who suffer the injustices of climate change and gas and have been historically marginalized.
About Mothers Out Front:
Mothers Out Front builds our power as mothers to ensure a livable climate for all children. We are building a diverse national movement of mothers, grandmothers, and caregivers dedicated to convincing elected officials and business leaders to work for a swift, complete, and just transition away from fossil fuels to clean and renewable energy. We know that mothers have an important role to play in the climate change movement, and, when it comes to protecting their children, mothers are an unstoppable force for change! Our goal is simple: to enable mothers to take active leadership in climate change work, by providing the structure, training, and tools for them to work together on campaigns in their communities and at the statewide level. We are a volunteer-led, national organization that is growing quickly. Founded in 2013, we currently have staff currently working in eight states and are a fast growing organization with no plans of slowing down.
In this role you will:
- Drive the overall campaign strategy in partnership with Mothers Out Front volunteer leadership.
- Coordinate support from volunteer leadership and staff across the region and develop new roles and opportunities for leadership and leadership development. Develop and implement a training program for activists and volunteers in partnership with the our Learning Director.
- Coordinate the campaign field work with our communications, digital and data teams.
- Ensure research needs are met through coordination of leaders, allies, and experts.
- Work with allies by coordinating ongoing coalition relationships and developing new relationships with a diverse mix of allied organizations and community leaders in the region. These will include: environmental and public health groups, social justice organizations, organizations representing communities of color and different ethnic populations, mothers and parent groups, and youth organizations.
- Support local teams and organizers in their local campaigns to challenge gas infrastructure, including training, leadership development, base building and strategic plan development.
- Ensure key data is recorded and tracked in our database, NationBuilder. Recruit and train volunteer data coordinators to ensure all community teams are effectively maximizing the database. Coordinate with national teams to ensure the collection process is streamlined and consistent across states.
- Manage the campaign budget, with support from the Organizing Director.
- Participate in fundraising initiatives in the region as needed.
What we’re looking for in you:
- At least three years of experience in grassroots, community, or union organizing with an emphasis on leadership development, ideally in a campaign setting.
- High creativity and flexibility. An ability to thrive in a dynamic, goal-oriented, fast-paced, campaign-oriented environment. Ability to work remotely and be productively self-directed and personally organized.
- Demonstrated ability to develop a strategic issue campaign and implement it, including strategy and comprehensive elements such as communications, digital engagement, and research.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- An ability to work evenings and weekends occasionally and travel across the region.
- A passion for climate justice and addressing climate change a plus.
- Demonstrated ability and commitment to working with people from a variety of backgrounds, especially ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds. It’s also helpful if you have experience working with people from different religious, education, generational, and gender identity backgrounds as well as those with physical disabilities and from the LGBTQ community.
- Strong administrative skills; an aptitude for working with databases preferred.
Details: Mothers out Front is a virtual organization. You will work from a home office and the position will involve modest travel across the east coast. You must be based on the east coast (as far south as Virginia). You will report to our Organizing Director. This a full-time position.
Salary and benefits: The salary range is $50 - $65k, depending on experience. Benefits include health and dental coverage, a 401(k) plan, flexible spending plan, paid vacation, holidays, sick days, and support for remote work set-up. We offer ongoing training opportunities, a fast-paced, dynamic, supportive, and collaborative setting and we are proudly women-led!
Timeline: We are accepting applications for this position through mid-November and hope to fill the position by early December. We have a thorough interview process which involves a phone interview, video interview, campaign exercise, reference calls, an in-person interview for candidates who continue to advance through the process. We also have a commitment to building up a sizable and diverse candidate pool before moving applicants to the final interview stages, which means there may be a delay in getting back to you. Our hope is that our process allows us to make the best possible decision and for you to learn more about us and appreciate your understanding if there is a delay at any point. We will do our best to keep you posted on your status throughout the process and ask that you stay in touch, too.
To apply: Please forward a cover letter and resume to [email protected] with title of the position in the subject line and include where you heard about the position. The position will be posted on our website until it is filled and, while we encourage you to apply by mid-November, will be accepting applications until that time.
Mothers Out Front is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ community, and members of other historically disenfranchised groups are especially welcome and encouraged to apply.
Do you like this page?